Wednesday, September 12, 2007

In Memory of Ruby

Today is a very sad day in our family because Ruby, our very old cat, passed away. Ruby was about 18 years old and has had a long life and lived in many places. Matthew said "he bought her at the pet shop because she was the sorriest looking little kitten in the corner, and no one was paying attention to her". She was a sweet cat and was terrific with the children.
In the past week Ruby was quickly losing weight, not eating much, and not acting like herself. And then in the past few days, she quickly went down hill; she was not eating, had a hard time walking, crying a lot and just looked miserable. So, Matthew brought her to the doctor's office on Tuesday morning and they gave her fluids and medications to keep her comfortable. They did some blood tests to rule out anything that could be minor, but today they said she was dying of old age. We will miss her terribly. What do we say to our children? I don't know what to say to them without crying and upsetting them. I know we need to say something, but I'm not sure when or what to say. At least Ruby is not in pain anymore and is in a better place. We love you Ruby!!
Love, the Mead Family

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly, just hold your boys and cry together. Also, do not be surprised if they don't cry, but instead ask lots of questions about death. We just lost our beloved cat, and my little grandson had all kinds of extremely profound questions. I wasn't going to tell him as much as I did, but he asked, so I simply answered his questions.

Loving a pet always means losing them, but it makes the experiemce no less magical and worthwhile. This is an opportunity for your boys to learn more about life. Our precious pets just keep on giving, even after they've left us.

My condolances to you and your family.
Connie

Mead Family (Matthew, Shelly, Ian and Ronan) said...

Thank you Connie for your wonderful email. I truly appreciate it! Shelly

bioluminescence said...

Shelly, I am so sorry about your kitty. My mom still has the cat we got when I was 13 and she is just about there. If you haven't seen it, check out the book The Tenth Good Thing About Barney. It might be great for the boys.
Alex (Katya's mom)